Comments on “The Top 10 Horror Films of All Time”, Page 1

Comments on “The Top 10 Horror Films of All Time”, Page 1

November 19 2007 Categorized Under: featured, Top Ten Lists 148 Commented

You are currently browsing comments. If you would like to return to the full story, you can read the full entry here: “The Top 10 Horror Films of All Time”.

Pages: 1 2

148 Responses to “The Top 10 Horror Films of All Time”

1. [...] Horror Fan Zine has a list of its top 10 horror flicks. [...]

2. michael says:

i was disappointed that silence of the lambs was not included in your top 10

3. joe clark says:

wish psycho was in ther or rear window thats real suspense. i think you guys like aliens too much but they are not very scary. just saying

4. Viraj Jayawardena says:

I can’t belive why you forgot to include the best horror flick ‘THE OTHERS’ in year 2001……………..

5. tharg says:

Can’t really quibble with that top 10! I’ve have EVIL DEAD 2 ahead of the original and would add a Hammer classic – the 1958 version of Dracula with Peter Cushing (Doctor Van Helsing) and Christopher Lee as Drac.

I knew this was a quality list when I saw HELLRAISER at #10 and the piece on ALIEN is a great writing. This is my personal #1 movie of All Time. I was lucky enough to see ALIEN when it originally came out and the chest-bursting scene was a total heart-stopper! Alien has a really excellent ending – hardly any dialogue in the last 20 mins… Ridley Scott is a genius. And Geiger must be an alien himself!

Of the other sequels HELLRAISER 6 is worth a watch. Not a top 10 movie (or a top 100) but Ashley Laurence (Kirsty) makes a return.

6. Raymond Gerard Carls says:

how about the 6th sense?

7. Bridget says:

What about Re-Animator?

8. jackson says:

I dont think Alliens should be in the top ten, Exorcist should have for sure, another great film that should have been in the top is Hellraiser

9. Maggi says:

Don’t you think even “The Fly” & “The Grudge” can beat the odds. It scares hell out of me atleast.

10. Plowdal says:

“The Thing” on your list was very close to “The Thing” my list, cool! My top 10 are:

10. Event Horizon (1997)
    9. 30 Days of Night (2007)
    8. Mothman Prophesies (2002)
    7. Cube (1998)
    6. Joy Ride (2001)
    5. Alien (1997)
    4. Sleepy Hollow (1999)
    3. Signs (2002)
    2. The Thing (1982)
    1. Saw (2004)

11. Kate_89horror says:

The following are my personal top 10! :) apologies for any spelling mistakes!

1: The Exorcist
    2: The Shining
    3: The Silence of the lambs
    4: The Texas chainsaw masacre
    5: Sixth Sense
    6: The Devil’s Rejects
    7: The Omen
    8: Amityville Horror
    9: Monster
    10: The Last house on the left

12. Nate says:

first off, the sixth sense is not a horror movie. let’s get that straight. if you think it is a horror movie you need to watch more horror movies. period. silence of the lambs, same story. they are dramatic movies, hence the genre of drama. while i agree they might be some of the best dramas ever written, they are not horror. anyway…

i love the list. glad to see someone appreciates the classics over the nu age “horror” of the saw series and the like. i do think that last house on the left could be introduced at the bottom of the list just because of what it was at the time of release. the premise of a nightmare on elm street places it a bit higher in my book, much more creative than many of the classics. the whole romero series was amazing and had much more meaning to them than first appearance gives away. my only thought is that alien was more of a sci-fi/horror hit rather than straight horror. that’s just nitpicking though!

13. christina says:

how the hell does videodrome make it on top 10 and friday the 13th is left in the dust??!!! and of course childsplay should be up there as well. this list is completely inaccurate.

14. Samuel says:

Hellraiser. Really? There are definetly scarier, better horror films than Hellraiser. Suspiria, Psycho to name just a two.

15. EmJ says:

Dawn of the Dead (2004) was a really solid zombie film. All of you who will knock me for liking a remake should take the stick out of your butt and actually analyze it objectively.

16. horrorfanzine says:

Samuel: you may be right on Hellraiser, Suspiria, Psycho. We’ll rethink it. To Christina: we stand by Videodrome – in our humble opinion it’s way better than Friday the 13th or Child’s Play (which we also like). EmJ: Dawn of the Dead may be worth a revisit as well.

17. John says:

It’s hard to make lists like this because it’s hard to discern a good horror movie. It depends on the criteria you have. For instance if you base it on how scary a movie is, I’d say that A Nightmare on Elm Street, Dawn of the Dead, Videodrome, and Hellraiser might not even show up. They are all great movies for several reasons, but none of those kept me up like Halloween or Texas Chainsaw Massacre did. Then if you do it on actual content, and how good in terms of story acting and writing those movies might very well be taken out as well. Obviously opinions vary but you get my point. No one will ever be entirely happy with a top ten list for such reasons.

18. Danders says:

That list is BULLSHIT! One, alien is not horror. that is an INSULT! You might as put up shaun of the dead while you’re at it. And not even adding in Night of the Living Dead?! You shouldn’t even deserve to say the word Horror. you don’t know shit, get off of this site and go play with yourself some more. Crazy Bitch.

19. angel says:

ano ba yan ang papangit sino bang gumawa nito tae ka ba?

20. amy says:

ang masasabi ko sa no.10 loser no.9 eiw no.8 yaks no.7 fucker no.6 shamer no.5 ugly no.4 heller no.3 shit no.2 hell no.1 tae

21. Simon says:

The list is slightly strange because you have some classics (The Shining, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, etc.) and then some rather alternative ones (Videodrome, Hellraiser). I take what you said in the intro about The Exorcist but really you have to include it. It’s probably the most disturbing film I’ve ever seen. I’d put it in second place after The Shining. I think Psycho and The Omen deserve a mention too. Lastly, what about the Japanese horror films? The Ring? The Grudge? They scare the s**t out of me!

22. Amber says:

okay first of all a nightmare on elm street is not scary AT ALL

23. mo says:

are you kidding me with this list? haha like Evil Dead? amazing movie, no doubt, but sooo not one of the best HORROR films, it’s a dark comedy, and alien? really? this list is total bogus. I would not rate these as top ten best horror films, especially a majority of the ones from the 80′s. the 80′s were a terrible time for both the film and music industries.

24. Teak says:

those are good but my top ten,10.IT,9 TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE.8 WRONG TURN,7,HILLS HAVE EYES,6 HOSTEL,5 SAW,4 NIGHTMARE ON ELMSTREET,3 A CLOCKWORK ORANGE 2 HALLOWEEN,1 FRIDAY THE 13TH.

25. Teak says:

I COULD HAVE ALOT MORE ON THERE BUT LET’S BE REAL EVERYONE HAS THERE FAVORITES AND THE 80′S WAS A GREAT TIME FOR HORROR.WE MADE NOT OF HAD THE TECHNOLOGY WE HAVE TODAY BUT IT STILL SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME WHEN I WAS YOUNG.TODAY’S GENERATION IS SPOILED.TO EVEN PUT UP A TOP TEN IS HARD IN IT SELF BUT IT DON’T BOTHER ME IF YOU LIKE IT OR NOT IT’S JUST MY OPINION.TODAY I SAY THE BEST HORROR FILMS ARE SAW,HOSTEL,WRONG TURN,ETC.